Four Records Contribute To Record Haul At Sale Of Champions

A record $275,000 was raised at the Missouri State Fair’s annual Sale of Champions on Saturday, including four lot records.  The Grand Champion Steer, exhibited by Ryleigh Witt of Lincoln County, brought in an all-time record of $46,000 after several buyers pooled together, including Edward Jones and Associates, Wheeler Auctions of Paris, and Lt Gov Mike Kehoe.  That record was broken just two lots later when the Grand Champion Barrow exhibited by Renee Conklin of Hallsville sold for $50,000.  BTC Bank joined several ag groups from the University of Missouri to make the purchase.  Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council made the highest winning bid on a Grand Champion Ham, netting $6550 for exhibitor Timothy Holtsclaw of California, while Regional Missouri Bank brought home the Reserve Grand Champion Slab of Bacon cured by Chase Kendrick of Mexico, with a total purchase price of $9700.

75 percent of each lot’s sale price goes to the exhibitors, while the remaining 25 percent goes to fund Youth In Agriculture Scholarships, sponsored by the Missouri State Fair Foundation.

2023 Missouri State Fair Sale Of Champions Sale Totals

Item Exhibitor Price (Total) Buyer(s)
Grand Champion Steer Ryleigh Witt, Warrenton $24,750 ($46,000) Edward Jones & Associates, Lt. Gov. Mike Kehoe, Wheeler Auctions, Randy Little
Reserve Grand Champion Steer Paisley Nelson, Platte City $18,450 ($29,500) Missouri State Fair Concessionaires, Wheeler Angus, Wayne & Anita Vanderwert
Grand Champion Barrow Renee Conklin, Hallsville $14,000 ($50,000) University of Missouri Ag Organizations, BTC Bank
Reserve Grand Champion Barrow Molly Malter, Marshall $9500 ($43,500) The Climate Corporation, Heimer Hampshires, Smithfield Foods
Grand Champion Lamb Payge Dahmer, Nevada $5500 ($14,000) CFM Insurance, Missouri Sheep Merchandising Council
Reserve Grand Champion Lamb Payge Dahmer, Nevada $5500 ($11,300) The Climate Corporation, Missouri Sheep Merchandising Council
Grand Champion Meat Goat Ty Murphy, Houstonia $5000 ($17,100) Edward Jones & Associates
Reserve Grand Champion Meat Goat Payton Rodgers, Savannah $4500 ($7900) Specialty Risk Insurance, Heimer & Associates
Grand Champion Pen of Rabbits Molly Strozewski, Lincoln $2745 ($6900) University of Missouri CAFNR, Missouri Rabbit Producers Association
Reserve Grand Champion Pen of Rabbits Wren Coats, Braymer $1500 ($4900) Missouri Rabbit Producers and Exhibitors
Grand Champion Pen of Chickens Hayden Duncan, Centertown $2000 ($3150) Frank/Hazelrigg Cattle
Reserve Grand Champion Pen of Chickens Blake Gates, Cairo $1500 ($4150) Invenergy/Grain Belt Express
Grand Champion Ham Timothy Holtsclaw, California $3300 ($6550) Missouri Soybeans
Reserve Grand Champion Ham Madison McCord, California $2200 ($3700) Fordyce Farms
Grand Champion Bacon Jackie Clay, Moberly $1800 ($7400) Regional Missouri Bank
Reserve Grand Champion Bacon Chase Kendrick, Mexico $1700 ($9700) Regional Missouri Bank
Commemorative Belt Buckle $2500 Missouri State Fair Director Mark Wolfe